Investigating COVID’s Economic Impact
In these uncertain times, having the latest data and analyses are essential. That’s why the Comptroller’s office monitors and reports on COVID-19’s impact on the Texas economy and state government. Here’s some recommended reading from our recent publications:
- “Recessions and Revenues” explains how public health concerns curtailed economic activity, resulting in decreased tax collections.
- “Pandemic Drives Record Unemployment” gauges the unprecedented number of claims that flooded the Texas Workforce Commission this past spring.
- “Texas’ International Trade” examines the disruption of supply chains and trade flows.
- Texas’ professional sports franchises explore creative options in the pandemic economy.
- A top education official outlines how community colleges are coping with the crisis.
- Nonprofit organizations and volunteers are stepping up to plug gaps in social services and educational activities.
- The pandemic is forcing telemedicine to ramp up rapidly to meet the health care challenge.
Fiscal Notes is available online and can be received by subscribing via the Comptroller’s website. For questions about how our tax functions are continuing during the outbreak, visit our COVID-19 News page or our Virtual Field Office.