Are you getting private messages that begin “Hi, I actually got another friend request from you yesterday …” Are you forwarding those messages? Stop doing that. It’s just a hoax. Facebook says there’s no indication of a cloning scam happening now, but the email has gone full viral, possibly because the message instructs you to message it to essentially all of your Facebook friends. There doesn’t seem to be much point in the hoax, except to watch the message spread and instill some worry and confusion among Facebook users. If you get the message, just delete it. Here are some tips from Facebook to determine if your account really has been hacked:
- If you suspect a hack, you should visit this page to secure your account. Facebook will ask you to change your password and review recent login activity.
Your account may have been hacked if you notice:
- Your email or password have changed
- Your name or birthday have changed
- Friend requests have been sent to people you don’t know
- Messages have been sent that you didn’t write
- Posts have been made that you didn’t create