On average, Americans spend approximately six hours per week cleaning their homes, with more than a quarter (28%) spending over seven hours straightening up. However, roughly a third of us are concerned if it’s enough and if we’re cleaning correctly, according to survey results compiled by the American Cleaning Institute. Among the findings:
Approximately how many hours per week, if any, do you typically spend cleaning?
- 10% Less than one hour
- 21% 1-2 hours
- 26% 3-4 hours
- 15% 5-6 hours
- 28% 7 hours or more
The average number of hours we clean is six, with parents spending 7 hours per week on average.
Which of the following concerns, if any, do you have about cleaning?
- 38% Preventing illness or allergy symptoms
- 34% Whether I’m cleaning frequently enough
- 32% Areas in my home that I should be cleaning
- 31% Whether I’m cleaning correctly
Which of the following do you do more often?
- 74% “Light cleaning,” a general surface-level cleaning of your household
- 26% “Deep cleaning,” a thorough cleaning of the entire household, including floors, furniture, and surfaces
Which of the following, if any, do you regularly clean?
- 88% of Toilets
- 80% Floors
- 75% Appliances
- 70% Faucets
- 62% Carpets and rugs
- 60% Cell phone
- 56% Computers and tablets
- 45% Doorknobs
Which of the following activities do you dread most?
- 52% Cleaning the bathroom
- 23% Cleaning the kitchen
- 21% Dusting
- 20% Mopping
- 17% Doing the laundry
- 17% Doing the dishes
- 9% Sweeping