KEEP IT FLOWING: Top Five Causes for Drain and Sewer Stoppages that you can help prevent.
Many things move slower in the cold weather, including waste like cooking grease that goes into the sewer system and can cause more clogs. The City of Mount Pleasant Utility Department typically sees a rise in calls from customers with sewer issues. It offers the following information on the Top Five causes for drain and sewer stoppages and how you can avoid your home or business problems.
1. Grease – You might assume that washing an oily pan in the sink is harmless, but grease is one of the top culprits for clogging. Fatty materials can stick in your pipes and prevent waste material from moving through them properly. Although you may not eliminate grease from your plumbing, you should try to reduce the amount of oil and fat you put down the drain. The best way to dispose of grease is to let the oil or grease cool and solidify. Once cool and stable, scrape the fat into a container that you can throw away. Please place it in a plastic bag to prevent leakage and then throw it in the garbage when it is full.
2. Fibrous Foods – You should not overestimate the abilities of your garbage disposal. Putting tough, dense food scraps like potato skins, celery, eggshells, pasta, beans, or stringy vegetables down the drain can disrupt the blades and block the pipes. Try to go easy on your garbage disposal to keep it functioning properly and avoid a drainage disaster.
3. Soap Scum – Over time, your shampoo, conditioner, and body wash can coat the edges of your pipes, gradually narrowing them until water and debris can no longer flow through them. Also, soap scum can latch on to lose hair and make them more likely to form clumps. For an easy, natural way to clean your drain pipes, pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by 2 cups of boiling water. Let the mixture work for about 30 minutes, then use a plunger to break up any clogs.
4. Hygiene Products – Feminine items, floss, cotton pads, dental floss, and other hygiene products can seriously plug up your pipes. Make sure you follow the instructions on the packaging and only flush things that readily dissolve in water.
5. Hair – Lathering your locks in the shower or brushing your hair over the sink could contribute to clogging. Hairs can tangle and form clumps that obstruct your pipes. To prevent this from happening, make sure you use a hair catcher in your shower drain and sweep hair from your sink.
Doing your part will help ensure water can move efficiently and prevent pipes from getting clogged. The City of Mount Pleasant, TX UTILITIES DEPARTMENT Questions or suspected clog, please contact Amanda Sanders at 903-575-4000.