2020 Graduation Ceremony Press Release April 24, 2020
Over the last few weeks, COVID-19 forced Sulphur Springs ISD to close the school, SSISD faculty and staff have been hard at work to meet the needs of all students and our community. In particular, our hearts and minds are focused on the needs of our Senior Class.
We have collaborated with SSISD staff members, parents, community members, and students to provide the best possible graduation ceremony for our seniors. After carefully weighing ALL options for our 2020 Commencement, we have determined that the richest and most inclusive option for our seniors is to create individual graduation experiences, with family members in attendance, with an all-inclusive graduation video to follow.
Beginning May 1 and continuing through May 15, Chad Kopal of Chad’s Media, in collaboration with SSISD staff, will facilitate individual graduation experiences for every graduating senior while following social distancing guidelines. The Media will film every student’s graduation combined with other filmed commencement events like presentation of the colors, our National Anthem, invocation, Valedictorian and Salutatorian speeches, and school song. It will create a 2020 graduation video that will air live on May 22, 2020, and later be given to every senior via DVD.
Mr. Kopal and SSISD staff will create an experience for our seniors and their families that includes the following:
- Students will cross the stage in graduation dress and receive their diploma.
- Up to 10 family members can attend the graduation to cheer, take pictures, and enjoy the experience with their graduate.
- After crossing the stage, graduates and family members can take more pictures in a photo.
- Michael Laeding will take graduation pictures and offer packages for sale. Also, SSISD will purchase one complimentary 8”x10” graduation photo for every graduate.
- Seniors and family members will receive a graduation
- Families will be able to enjoy the entire ceremony together online on May 22, 2020. The program will be complete, including the key aspects of our traditional graduation
We know that our ceremony will not be the same as in normal times, but we intend to create as many of the experiences (sights, sounds, hugs, pictures, and memorable moments) as possible for every senior, together as the Class of 2020.
Senior Class of 2020, WE LOVE YOU! #wearSS