Lions score 2-1 road win over TWU behind goals from Kotlik, Munguia
DENTON– The Texas A&M University-Commerce soccer team defeated Texas Woman’s University 2-1 on Wednesday night. The Lions scored two goals in the first half to get the win.
The win brings the Lions to 5-4-0 on the season and 2-3-0 in the Lone Star Conference. The Pioneers fall to 5-5-1 and 2-2-1 in conference action.
The Lions will next step foot on the field on Sunday with a road match against MSU Texas. The match will be played at 1:00 p.m. at Mustangs Park in Wichita Falls.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
– Michelle Kotlik (Grapevine) scored her fourth goal of the season in the fifth minute. She scored on a header off of a corner kick assist from Karissa Rulander (Clear Falls). Kotlik had two shots on goal in the match.
– Sabrina Munguia (Baytown – Lee) scored her third goal of the season in the 31st minute. She scored on an assist from Izzy Ward (McKinney – Boyd).
– Cora Welch (Plano) also had a shot on goal.
– Caitlin Duty (Crandall) made seven saves in the match.
– TWU had two saves in the match. The Lions were outshot 22-9 in the match, mainly playing defense in the second half to preserve the lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions wasted no time getting on the board as in the fifth minute, the team drew a corner kick. Rulander kicked the ball toward the goal and Kotlik was there to head the ball in. The Lions took a 1-0 lead.
The Lion offense continued to apply pressure. Munguia took a shot high in the ninth minute and Welch had her shot saved in the 11th minute. The Lion defense then made a save on a shot on goal.
The Pioneers had several more shots, including one on goal in the 24th minute that was saved by Duty. The Lions then added to their lead. Ward took the ball and fired it over the defense. Munguia chased the ball down and made a move to beat the keeper, shooting the ball into the net to give A&M-Commerce a 2-0 lead.
Duty made two more saves in the waning minutes of the first half and the Lions took a 2-0 lead into halftime.
Kotlik had another shot on goal early in the second half, but TWU’s keeper was there this time to save the shot. Duty saved a TWU shot in the 64th minute.
For several minutes, neither team was able to get off a shot as the defense clamped down. TWU got their next shot on goal in the 80th minute, which was saved by Duty. TWU was able to score a late goal on a penalty kick in the 88th minute but the Lion defense held firm to close, with Duty saving the final two desperation shots.
Texas A&M University-Commerce’s College of Business is hosting its first ever Homecoming 5K Fun Run/Walk Friday (Oct 26) benefitting the student scholarships and programming.