With cold weather, many stay warm and toasty using a space heater. If you do, fire officials are warning you to not plug it into an extension cord or a power strip. Doing so is a significant fire hazard. Fire officials say these devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, and even catch fire. Heating elements inside a space heater can reportedly get up to more than 500°F to 600°F. Residents should plug their space heaters directly into the wall, and always keep an eye on it when it’s in use.