The NBA will be back Tuesday (Dec 22) after the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association announced Monday night that they’d struck a deal on rules for this coming season. That sets the stage for what will be a fierce few weeks before games resume. Teams will play a 72-game schedule. The league will use a new system to ensure that the split of basketball-related income continues, one of the many details that had to be collectively bargained with the union because the current agreement between the sides had a great deal of language that needed reworking because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Officials charged Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa with driving under the influence again. Maricopa County Justice Court’s website states the arrest occurred in February, and they filed in on Oct 28. That was one day before the White Sox hired La Russa, 76. The teams say they were aware of the incident when they hired him.
Dallas is playing it safe during its bye following a Pittsburg Steeler’s tight end Vance McDonald testing positive for COVID-19. Dallas canceled its Wednesday’s practice.
The 2020 preseason AP top 25 college basketball team poll is out.
Texas lands at 19, Houston 17, Texas Tech 14, and Baylor is No. 2.
Texas A&M is in limbo waiting for Monday’s COVID tests to return. As for the Saturday game at Tennessee, they are staying hopeful and everything is still a go. Coach Jimbo Fisher said the team has two players and a staff member dealing with the COVID.
Atlanta and Tyler Chapel Hill were at Willie Williams Guy Monday night, and the Mt Pleasant Tigers had their last tune-up before the regular season. The Tigers played both in a doubleheader, and they live-streamed both on the Mt Pleasant Basketball YouTube channel.
Sherman canceled their football game with Longview because of COVID. It is chalked as a ‘no contest’ and will not be recorded in the standings. The Bearcats’ basketball and cheerleading is on hold until Nov 16. Volleyball will continue to have practice and games.
4A Division I
- Lindale (8-2) vs Vidor (4-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Carthage’s Bulldog Stadium
- Livingston (8-2) vs Tyler Chapel Hill (6-4), 6 p.m. Saturday at Porter’s Randall Reed Stadium
- Huffman-Hargrave (8-1) vs Palestine (6-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Madisonville’s Mustang Stadium
- Kilgore (7-3) vs Splendora (4-6), 7 p.m. Friday at Kilgore’s St. John Stadium
4A Division II
- Texarkana Pleasant Grove (7-3) vs Bullard (6-4), 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Gladewater’s Murphy Stadium
- Van (6-4) vs Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (6-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Marshall’s Maverick Stadium
- Mexia (5-4) vs Longview Spring Hill (5-5), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Mexia’s Blackcat Field
- Gilmer (9-1) vs Canton (3-6), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Lindale’s Eagle Stadium
- Salado (9-1) vs Rusk (5-5), Friday 7 p.m. at College Station’s Tigerland Stadium
- Carthage (8-0) vs Gatesville (4-5), 7 p.m. Friday at Athens’ Bruce Field
3A Division I
- Mineola (9-1) vs Atlanta (3-7), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Longview’s Panther Stadium
- Gladewater (8-2) vs Mount Vernon (8-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Emory’s Wildcat Stadium
- Tatum (7-1) vs Winnsboro (7-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Longview’s Lobo Stadium
- Malakoff (7-2) vs Maypearl (7-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Groesbeck’s Groesbeck Stadium
- Pottsboro (8-2) vs White Oak (5-2), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Paris’ Wildcat Stadium
- Winnie East Chambers (9-0) vs Trinity (5-5), 7 p.m. Thursday at Woodville’s Eagle Stadium
- Anahuac (5-5) vs Crockett (6-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Woodville’s Eagle Stadium
- Diboll (5-4) vs Buna (4-4), 7 p.m. Friday at Lumberton’s Raider Stadium
3A Division II
- Bells (8-2) vs Edgewood (6-4), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Commerce’s Memorial Stadium
- New London West Rusk (6-3) vs Paris Chisum (5-5), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Pittsburg’s Pirate Stadium
- Daingerfield (8-2) vs Grand Saline (3-6), 7 p.m. Thursday at Ore City’s Rebel Stadium
- Waskom (8-1) vs New Waverly (6-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Palestine’s Westwood Panther Stadium
- Elysian Fields (8-2) vs Hemphill (6-2), 7 p.m. Friday at Timpson’s Eakin Stadium
- Hooks (5-4) vs Troup (5-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Pittsburg’s Pirate Stadium
- Newton (6-2) vs Harleton (6-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Shelbyville’s Dragon Stadium
- Harmony (7-3) vs Omaha Pewitt (6-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Hallsville’s Bobcat Stadium
2A Division I
- Alvord (4-4) vs Como-Pickton (4-3), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Anna’s Coyote Stadium
- Hawkins (10-0) vs Garrison (4-5), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Henderson’s Lion Stadium
- Timpson (10-0) vs Frankston (4-6), 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Henderson’s Lion Stadium
- Joaquin (8-1) vs Price Carlisle (6-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Tatum’s Eagle Stadium
- Hearne (8-0) vs Grapeland (6-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Trinity’s Tiger Stadium
- Beckville (7-3) vs Shelbyville (4-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Tyler’s Christus TMF Rose Stadium
2A Division II
- Lovelady (6-4) vs Evadale (4-4), 7 p.m. Thursday at Cleveland’s Indian Stadium
- Tenaha (7-2) vs Burkeville (3-6), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Tenaha’s Jackson Stadium
- Deweyville (7-2) vs Cushing (6-3), 7 p.m. Thursday at Jasper’s Bulldog Field
1A Six-Man Division I
- Saint Jo vs. Leverett’s Chapel, 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Savoy
- Union Hill vs. Bryson, 7 p.m. Thursday at Tioga
1A Six-Man Division II
- Throckmorton vs. Trinidad, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Iredell